Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Transitions

A couple of weeks ago, we decided it was time to convert Grace's baby bed to a toddler bed. I was a little nervous as to how the transition was going to be taken by Grace.


The first time she slept in her new bed was after picking her up from my mom and dad's house. She was exhausted from playing so hard that she fell asleep in the car on the way home. I picked her up out of her car seat in hopes of just placing her in the bed ( like I do all the time when she falls asleep in the car), but of course she woke up. I rocked a little bit and then put her down. She noticed that something was different, but was too tired to do anything about it. I thought to myself that was easy. We'll keep our fingers crossed it's like this every time...


After she awoke from her nap she immediately noticed that she could hop right out all by herself. Jeff and I neither one called a lot of attention to it. Throughout the evening, she would go "night-night" in her bed. She thought it was really neat until...BEDTIME.


I did our normal routine at night...bath, dessert, a short cartoon, prayers and then rocking her a little bit. As soon as I went to place her in her bed, she stiffened up and clung to me as if I was going to put her in something awful. Sooooo...I rocked her a little bit more and then tried to put her down again. This time I laid her down and let her cry. She cried off and on for about 30 minutes and then fell asleep. The next day at naptime, she decided to do the same thing. I rocked her like I always do and then laid her down only to cry for about 15 minutes off and on. I thought to myself the crying time is getting shorter. That night she wanted to throw a big fit,but I told it was time to go to bed and she laid down after rocking her and only whimpered.


The next day at nap was terrible...she screamed and even got out of her bed. I closed the door and held it closed, so that she couldn't open it, for a few minutes until I heard her go get back in her bed. She cried for just a little bit and fell asleep. I thought at bedtime it would be a challenge again and much to my surprise she was such a BIG girl. From this moment on our MISSION was ACCOMPLISHED!






So 3 days of transitioning and all is good now. We have been blessed so far to have all the big transitions with Grace be pretty effortless.





P.S. She, also, is completely potty trained and in big girl panties (we only have 1 or 2 accidents a week). I'm even being brave and letting her wear panties when we go out to run earrands and we made it through a birthday party without any accidents. I'm so proud of her!

P.S.S. She even has a big girl seat at the table now. No more high chair! :o)